As 2014 quickly winds down I want to thank our Freedom Family for an amazing year. A new year has arrived and we will begin with 21 Days of Fasting and Prayer starting on Sunday, January 4th.
The goal of fasting is to draw nearer to God. Fasting should present a level of challenge that eliminates spiritual distractions in our life. As we seek God in prayer it is important to follow what the Holy Spirit leads you to do.
Prayer Topics: families, our church, our nation, our government, Greenville's business community, the next generation, homelessness in Greenville, lost people, marriages and upstate churches.
Morning Prayer: Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. at the Summit Campus.
Here are some different types of fasts.
- Complete Fast: drinking only water and juices.
- Partial Fast: abstain from any types of food from sun up to sun down.
- Selective Fast: The Daniel Fast is a type of selective fast. Abstain from meats, breads and sweets. Consume fruits and vegetables. Drink water and juices only.
- Media Fast: Refocus certain areas of your life that are out of balance. Abstain from social media or watching television.
For those of us who are doing the Daniel Fast we are providing a guide for meals.
Foods included in the Daniel Fast
- Fruits (fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned)
Apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon.
- Vegetables (fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned)
Artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers.
- Whole Grains
Whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole-wheat pasta, whole -wheat tortillas, rice cakes, and popcorn (natural with no butter).Nuts and Seeds
Sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter but they should be sugar free.
- Legumes (fresh, frozen, dried, or canned)
Dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black-eyed peas, kidney beans black beans, and cannellini beans, white beans.
Olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame
- Beverages (Important to stay hydrated throughout the day)
Water, decaf beverages, 100% fruit juices
Tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat and animal products such as beef, lamb, pork, poultry and fish.
- All dairy products such as milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.
- All sweeteners including sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.
- All leavened bread (yeast)
- All refined and processed food products including artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
- All deep fried foods such as potato chips, french fries, corn chips.
- All solid fats such as shortenings, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
- Beverages such as coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, (even those with artificial sweeteners), energy drinks, and alcohol.
We are excited as we move into this season of prayer and what God will do in 2015.